Click any of the text links to return to where you came from.
|Algernourne Fort A triangular wood palisade fortress constructed at Point Comfort in 1609; it was destroyed by fire in 1612.|
basin for holding baptismal water in a church. A receptacle for holy water; a stoup. The
oil reservoir in an oil-burning lamp. An abundant source; a fount: She was a font of
wisdom and good sense.
[Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin fons, font-, from Latin, fountain.] Definition is from Microsoft Bookshelf Basics Dictionary
|Fort George Built in 1727 and destroyed by the great hurricane of 1749. This hurricane rose the water level of the Chesapeake Bay 15 feet; began the early development of what is now Willoughby Spit; what is now Hampton, was covered with four feet of water; homes near Williamsburg were forced off their foundations.|
|Hampton Roads Our port has been known to mariners and shipping interests worldwide as Hampton Roads for more than 200 years. The name dates from the 17th century English Earl of Southampton (Henry Wriothesley), who named cities, counties, rivers etc.; and the nautical term road. Nautically speaking, a road is a protected anchorage or a safe harbor. The area was named in his honor by the first royal governor, Lord de la Ware, in the early 1600s.The Hampton Roads region includes the communities of Chesapeake, Franklin, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg, and the Counties of Gloucester, Isle of Wight, James City, Southampton, Surry, and York. Top Of Page|
|Historic Triangle The communities of Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown. Top Of Page|
|House of Burgesses The colonial legislature of Virginia. During the Colonial period, Virginia was governed by a Governor, the Governor's Council, and the House of Burgesses. The members of the Governor's Council were appointed to their positions and acted as the upper house of the legislature as well as the highest court in Virginia. The House of Burgesses was the forerunner of the Virginia General Assembly. The elected Senate is now the upper house. The lower house was composed of elected representatives (Burgesses) from the shires or counties and is roughly the equivalent of the Delegates of today. The first meeting of the House of Burgesses took place on July 30, 1619 and consisted of 22 Burgesses (2 from each of the eleven boroughs). Top Of Page|
The son of Collis P. Huntington, builder of the Central
Pacific Railroad and the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry
Dock Company and consequently, the heir to one of the
greatest fortunes in the United States. In 1930, Archer M.
Huntington and his wife, Anna Hyatt Huntington, determined to
accomplish his lifetime ambition of building a museum. They
decided the Virginia Peninsula, the terminus of his father's
railroad and the home of their shipbuilding company, should
house: "... a museum and
library pertaining to nautical subjects, things, and
interests, and otherwise to advance learning, the arts and
sciences relating to or bearing on watercraft, the marine, and
marine navigation,...and incident to the whole, to develop and
maintain a lake and park within the bounds of which the
foregoing purposes may be accomplished." Visit our
section for more information.
Top Of Page
|Marie's Mount Located in current day downtown Newport News. Marie's Mount was named after the wife of the first known settler in Newport News, Daniel Gookin, Sr. Top Of Page|
|Phaeton a small light four-wheeled carriage, usually with two seats and usually drawn by two horses|
|Pine Beach Located in Ocean View, Norfolk. The ferry from Hampton to Norfolk docked here. Top Of Page|
The transverse part of a cruciform church, crossing the nave at
right angles. Either of the lateral arms of such a part.
Top Of Page
History Tour |
Site Information |
Copyright � 1999 - 2005 Historic Hampton Roads, Inc. All rights are reserved.
This page was updated 05.18.2005 --- today's date is